Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Marmalade Cake

This fantastic little cookbook was published in 1925 by Proctor & Gamble. The beginning of the book has cooking hints and recipes and the second half has the promised calendar of dinners, a complete dinner menu, including dessert, for everyday of the year. I would not have been able to sleep at all. Every meal ends in coffee.

 It also has some beautiful art nouveau style illustrations!

 After a long search I settled on Marmalade Cake...unfortunately I did not read it as carefully as I should have...
Simple ingredients. Simple directions. Except for the fact that it does not tell you what to do with the sugar.
I decided that mixed in with the crust was probably my safest bet. The crust turned out very crumbly and did not come together easily so I used a pie plate to keep everything together.
 It actually baked up pretty nicely. I was surprised.
Ta Da!
Marmalade made quite a nice instant filling! All in all very tasty. I would definitely look at adding a little bit of water to the crust next time, perhaps even try another type of jam for the filling. The cake stayed together better after it had cooled completely.

My Rating: Yummy! Bake again with slight adjustments.

Friends and Family Rating:"Nice. Not a fan of orange but I think it would be good with another flavor."

No comments:

Post a Comment