Search This Blog

Friday, January 5, 2018

Coconut Icebox Cookies

For my first recipe I thought I would go for something simple, that would be hard to mess up. And I love cookies and cakes...this blog may mostly be recipes of baking but I will try to branch out. No guarantees though.

I found this wonderful little cooking pamphlet Successful Baking for Flavor and Texture originally published in 1936. This is the 5th edition.
Out of all the delicious looking recipes I settled on the Coconut Icebox Cookies because I had all the ingredients on hand. It was snowing.
Interesting note: sweet milk is regular milk.
Easy Peasy! This easy recipe went together quickly and painlessly. I used my standing mixer because I'm lazy and it makes mixing so much easier especially when you have to cream butter. This recipe did not need it. The dough was very soft. It was supposed to formed into two 6 inch logs but I would probably make them longer next time. I am a big fan of smaller cookies. These were a little too large for me.
The dough firmed up a bit in the refrigerator (2 hours) but I still ended up with oval cookies...which was exactly what I was aiming for.
My house smells wonderful!!

Sorry for the odd looking pictures. I played around with 2 different filters on the photos. The top picture is more accurate for the cookies but I think the hot chocolate looks more delicious in the bottom picture. 
These cookies are delicious! Soft, light and not too sweet. The coconut adds moisture and a bit of texture more than flavor. The outside has a nice crunch with a soft, chewy inside. This recipe is definitely a keeper for me!

My rating: Keeper!

Family and Friends rating: 'Excellent' 'Light, crispy, and chewy'


No comments:

Post a Comment