Search This Blog

Sunday, January 7, 2018

French 75

A nice relaxing evening deserves a great drink.
I can't remember how I got this fantastic 1933 edition of The Savoy Cocktail Book but it has one of my favorite covers.
"Being in the main a complete compendium of the Cocktails, Rickeys, Daisies, Slings, Shrubs, Smashes, Fizzes, Juleps, Cobblers, Fixes & other Drinks known & vastly appreciated in this year of grace 1934 with sundry notes of amusement & interest concerning them together with subtle observations upon wines & their special occasions Being in the particular an elucidation of the manners & customs of people of quality in a period of some equality. The Cocktail recipes in this book have been complied by Harry Craddock of the Savoy Hotel, London."
This book has some fantastic illustrations!
All the cocktails are listed in alphabetical order so it made finding the French 75 very easy. The recipe does not differ too much from modern recipes I have tried. The one big difference was the use of powdered sugar instead of simple syrup.
Beautiful and delicious!
Overall it was tasty. I decided to use a shaker to mix everything (except for the champagne of course) but the powdered sugar still did not dissolve well. This made the drink more sour and less sweet than I would have liked.

My rating: Good and fun but I'll use simple syrup next time

Friends and Family Rating: Unknown. It was too cold for visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment