Search This Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Pecan Butterballs

Spring looks like it is finally here to stay! It's been a couple of days without snow and temperatures actually hit the 70's. Good Times! I had a lovely afternoon off so I decided to tackle this recipe. Pecan Butterballs from the 1941 Old Favorite Honey Recipes put out by the American Honey Institute. I have tried a couple of recipes from this pamphlet and have not been impressed so far.
This recipe is very similar to one of my all time favorites, Russian Teacakes, with a few differences. It uses honey (of course) and it has to bake 40 minutes. 40 minutes! For cookies!
I think there is more pecans and butter than anything else. Not that that is a bad thing.
Tons of pecans!
Since these cookies don't spread you can fit quite a lot on a single cookie sheet and after waiting 40 minutes for one batch you are going to really fill that sheet for the next one.
A quick powdered sugar bath right after the oven.
And my entire house smells wonderful! I'm trying to wait until they have fully cooled and have had their second powdered sugar bath to try them. It's so difficult...
Beautiful! These were delicious! They are very similar to my Russian teacakes but have a warmer, nuttier taste thanks to the honey. They are easy enough to make (and very delicious) but the baking time drove me nuts. I would only make these again if I was stuck inside due to bad weather. Or I just needed a good subject to play with photo filters.

My Rating: Keeper for cold winter days

Friends and Family Rating: "Delicious but not as good as the teacakes." "Tastes like Fall." "What happened to the rest of the cookies?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment