Search This Blog

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Dixie Creamed Peanuts

What happened to spring?!! It made a brief appearance and then ran away. Not very nice, Spring.

I love desserts. Obviously. But I thought I would adventure into something a little bit different. I was given this fantastic set of American Cookery cookbooks from 1935. Interesting stories and recipes!
 This recipe caught my eye because it features peanuts as a main dish and I like brown rice.

Naturally the only thing I was missing was the peanuts. Of course.
The cream took a little while to thicken but it was a pretty easy recipe. Yum...I think...
There was not much to this thing. The paprika added a bright pop of color to this dull dish.

This recipe is a product of the Depression era, a mix of simple ingredients making a filling and fairly nutritional meal. (I added some veggies to the dinner.) Surprisingly, it tasted very good if a little bland and the crunch of the peanuts gave it just enough texture to not be boring. Even though it looks like it should be a dessert it was not sweet.

My Rating: Not bad.

Friend and Family Rating: "Peanuts for dinner?"


No comments:

Post a Comment