Search This Blog

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Star Cocktail No. 2

Well, not a lot people are wanting to be taste testers at the moment so I guess I'll have to stick to cocktails for the time being. I was just looking for something quick and refreshing that may go well with a bubble bath. The 1930's Savoy Cocktail Book gave me the Star Cocktail No. 2. The Star Cocktail No. 2 was too complex for this evening.
 Just two ingredients. It's going to be hard to mess this up! Luckily I had purchased a bottle of vermouth on my last shopping trip. I didn't have a cocktail in mind but I had seen it listed for several different ones so I picked it up.
I didn't have applejack but apple brandy is close. A quick online search and I discovered that Italian vermouth is sweet, red vermouth and French vermouth is dry, white vermouth. Further search revealed that vermouth is a type of fortified wine. So, this will be fun!
So easy and pretty and, most importantly, not pink! 
You could smell the sweetness as I mixed the drink. I didn't know what to expect but this was not it. Usually cocktails are very light but the vermouth made this one thick feeling. It tasted much more like a wine than a cocktail. With the apple it felt like a late summer drink. I could drink this under the fall foliage.

My Rating: Great if you have the ingredients but not too special.

No comments:

Post a Comment