Search This Blog

Monday, December 24, 2018

Pfeffernuesse

It is time for my last post of 2018 and I have chosen one of my all time favorite cookies: pfeffernuesse! I first picked up a bag of these years ago from the store on a whim. I wanted to try something new and they looked similar to gingerbread. They are not gingerbread but now I have to pick up a bag every year. This year I decided to try my hand at it.
 I found the recipe in a 1948 cookbook published by the Green County Homemakers. It is filled with recipes for countries that settled Green County, Wisconsin.
 Such wonderful drawings throughout!
 Thank you for such an easy to follow recipe, Mrs. Keen. Promised to make 'a-plenty.'
 With a more than 9 cups of flour, this better make a lot! I decided to keep to the recipe and went on the hunt for lard. Not too difficult to find but now I have half a tub of lard still.
 The sugar and lard creamed together easily but separated once I added the coffee. It did not look appealing!
 I am hoping that adding the dry ingredients help pull everything together...
 This is some thick dough! But also a bit sticky. It was kind of hard to make lovely round cookies. Some may have come out a bit jagged.
 I only take pictures of the pretty ones.
 Have I mentioned how much I love the smell of cookies baking? It fills my house!
 And now for the finishing touch, powdered sugar!
 Mrs. Keen was correct. It made a-plenty!
These are so yummy! I usually get the iced pfeffernuesse but these beat them out by a long shot.
Usually I try to pick cookies that sound interesting or unusual but it was fun to jump into something more traditional. I was a bit leery about using lard... It turned out fantastic. Tastes just like the holidays!

My Rating: A Keeper! But I make half the recipe next year.

Friends and Family Rating: I haven't heard any comments but they are always missing from the office cookie tray.

Have a Fantastic Holiday and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment