Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2019

Cinnamon Nut Squares

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! For my first recipe of 2019 I thought I would go simple and reached for the 1940's Christmas Cookies pamphlet, Cinnamon Nut Squares!
 I love a recipe that uses both the egg yoke and the egg white!
 Everything in lovely shades of brown. All simple and easy ingredients.
 Although the recipes says 'shortening' I'm going to assume they mean butter.  Best way to start a dessert!
The first cinnamon layer is done. It is really thick...kind of looks like a giant cookie...I was expecting more of a brownie-type layer.
 I'm so glad I bought pecans in bulk before the holidays. I love pecans!
Done! And they smell amazing!! You have to cut them while they are still warm but I would recommend waiting until they cool a little. Lesson learned.
 An orange plate was probably not the best way to display these tasty little treats.
I don't know why the combination of cinnamon and pecans never even occurred to me. So good!
These turned out more like a large cookie. I don't know why I was expecting brownies but these were nothing like it.  I had to adjust the baking time a bit by adding 10 more minutes but that may be just my oven. It can be a bit touchy. These were amazing little bites of deliciousness! The bottom layer is a nice soft cookie with just enough cinnamon. I would recommend chopping the pecans smaller.

My rating: Keeper! So easy and delicious and just a little bit different.

Friends and Family Rating : "Personally I think they were very good. But I needed a glass of milk with them." "I love cinnamon!"

No comments:

Post a Comment