Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

White Fruit Cake

It is the Holiday Season! Time for everyone to argue about whether or not egg nog is delicious (it is!) and to bad mouth fruit cake, even if they have never tasted a fruit cake in their life. I grew up on stories about the dreaded Fruit Cake, doomed to spend its entire existence being passed from family to family and never eaten. This year I decided to see if it was as terrible as I was told.
 In my wonderful Christmas Cookies pamphlet from the Wisconsin Gas & Electric Company, I found 2 entire pages with fruit cake recipes. I decided to go with one that did not require any alcohol and seemed relatively light...ish.
 I also decided that this would make a fantastic Holiday gift for all the fruit cake haters. This great chart came in handy.
 In my excitement I may have forgotten to take photos of the ingredients so this is the best I got. Tons and tons of candied fruits that I had to chop up into smaller pieces. Fun times. But not really. Most candied fruit comes in a mixture so it took a little bit of hunting to get everything.
 Creaming butter is always a beautiful start to baking!
 I could not find blanched almonds but I figured this wouldn't mess things up too much.
 Soo much fruit!
 Adding a dusting of flour is crucial!
 There is not a lot of batter in this mix. I was a bit concerned.
 I love these little baking containers. Perfect gift-sized!
 Even though I was concerned, they baked up perfectly!
My kitchen smells wonderful! It made to sad to wrap them up and set them aside. So they have been sitting all wrapped up tightly in a cool dark place until...now! Most have gone on to their holiday homes but I did keep one to try. It is surprisingly good! And very figgy. I tried to slice it but that did not work. It was easier to eat it with a spoon. After such a fantastic beginning I may have to try to make a few others on that page.

My Rating: Delicious! Full of fruit so it's healthy, right?

Friends and Family Rating: Still waiting to hear back...I will update you later!


No comments:

Post a Comment