Search This Blog

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Blueberry Butter Pastry Squares

I realized I hadn't done a blueberry recipe yet and I have bags of blueberries from my folk's garden in my freezer (right next to my collection of frozen bananas). This simple recipe comes from the 1961 version of The New Antoinette Pope School Cookbook.

This is a 2 pager. Sorry for the weird picture colors. I thought they matched....
 There is not a lot of variety in baking ingredients. On the good side, once you purchase everything for one recipe you pretty much have everything for several more.
 There does not appear to be enough blueberries here...
 That was an easy pastry to throw together. I read the directions and I know what size pan to use but it still looks small.
 Looks so lovely! And my kitchen smells amazing.
 The recipe recommended a couple of different ways to serve the cake. I thought I would try the plain cake with a dusting of powdered sugar.
 Then I added the Orange Icing listed right under the pastry recipe.

Yum! This had the consistency of a pound cake with a light burst of blueberry. It is a dense cake. The cake bakes up with a nice light and crisp top that was delicious with just the powdered sugar! The icing moves it from a coffee cake-like breakfast cake to an after dinner cake. I would add more blueberries next time and flour them so they don't all sink to the bottom. My personal preference is the powdered sugar version but if I were making the icing, I would add orange zest. The icing was not very orange-y.

My Rating: Keeper! with a few adjustments.

Friends and Family Rating: "Amazing." "Could use more fruit."

No comments:

Post a Comment