Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Banana Nut Cake

Am I the only person that has a freezer full of frozen bananas? I can never finish the entire bunch by the time they start to get too brown so they end up in the freezer with all the others. I am not a big fan of banana bread or banana muffins (too boring) and have been looking for another way to use them. The New Antoinette Pope School Cookbook from 1961 offered up this Banana Nut Cake.
 Pretty much the same ingredients as banana bread but it has icing!

 Another difference is the cake flour. But everything else...same old same old.
 It came together very easily...once I full defrosted the bananas.

 Looks like a cake! Smells delicious!!
 Instead of paying attention to the icing itself, I just followed the directions and ended up adding to much liquid. Way too much icing, not enough cake.
 My banana decorations would not stay put!
 Still looked pretty when cut! Yeah!!
I may not be a big fan of banana bread but I love the smell of it filling my apartment! I messed up the icing but that's okay. It tasted like banana bread but much lighter. The cake flour made a huge difference! I also loved the extra bit of moisture and sweetness that the icing added.

My Rating: Yum! I'd make it again for a brunch.

1 comment:

  1. Mystery solved--almost. My grandmother made this cake many times (but sometimes with a chocolate frosting). Looked exactly like your pictures. Frustrated by a handwritten recipe of my mother's, I searched and found your 2018 blog. Mom wrote "Pope's, page 352," but I see no such thing in her 1948 edition of Pope's (just banana bread at page 302-303). Both the cake and icing are exactly word-for-word as page 598-599 of your 1961 edition, so maybe it's at 352 in another edition. The funny part is that Mom ran out of paper after the first bake of 45 minutes, so I didn't have the all-important last steps. She must have had another 4x6 slip of paper--the icing recipe is complete, though, on another piece of paper. Now that I think about it, Mom did this to me with another childhood favorite of mine, but fortunately, my cousin had the missing page of that one!
    Gary Mayer

    ReplyDelete