Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Colonial Innkeeper's Pie

It's called a pie but more like a cake...kind of...
 This book, published on 1959, is filled with great entertaining ideas! Not just food but party ideas. If this was the standard for house parties then I would fail every time!
 This recipe caught my attention because it's called a pie but there is no 'pie-like' filling. Strange. But it has chocolate.
 Simple ingredients! I used a mixture of pecans and walnuts since it did not specify.
 Yum...Chocolate sauce!
 This was the pie 'filling.' Still does not feel like a pie.
 Pouring the chocolate sauce on top was different. I still had no idea what this was going to turn into.
 Okay, with the nuts on top it looks similar to a pecan pie. I'm still feeling weird about that chocolate.
 I love the smell of baking!! It actually turned out beautiful looking and smells sooooo good. A nice crisp top with a little chocolate...don't know what happened to the rest of the chocolate.
The chocolate sunk to the bottom. So I have crunchy nuts followed by sweet cake then chocolate and then a pie crust. Strange.
 And so delicious!!
This definitely delivered on the  'unusual' but not on the 'rich.' I'm not complaining though! The filling formed a delicious cake while the chocolate settled to create a nice crust along the bottom. I had never heard of a pie like this but a co-worker remembered this pie from her childhood. Her family called it crazy pie. I will definitely be saving this recipe! It was incredibly easy to make but looks fancy.

My Rating: Keeper!

Friends and Family Rating: "Strange but delicious!"

No comments:

Post a Comment