Search This Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2020

Maple Walnut Pie

I was organizing some of my cooking pamphlets the other day, trying to keep them from getting torn up. (I need to find a good way to store them but also keep them accessible. Any suggestions?) Anyways. I found this one! I had originally put it aside because I didn't cook at that time. But now time to bring it out and explore. Since my last memories of my Grammie are from Vermont I had to go with something maple related. I'm guessing that the recipe is probably from the 1950s or 1960s but I have no way of knowing for sure. One of the last times I sat in the kitchen chatting with her we discussed her weekly trips to the hair salon to get her hair lacquered.
Luckily for Dylan we did not have to bust out the jello.
A simple recipe. I just happen to have a jar of real Vermont maple syrup on hand. I am spoiled. I cannot eat pancake syrup at all. It has to be real maple syrup or nothing.
You don't need a glass of wine but it may help.
Everything smells so sweet my teeth hurt.
This will make a pie. Or so I'm told.
I used an inexpensive, generic pre-made pie crust. It tastes great and is super easy. I highly recommend them.
My edging sucks. Oh well. I am predicting that this will end up like a pecan pie. Gooey and nutty. Kinda looks like it needs more nuts though.
Yeah! This baked up so pretty and smells amazing! Definitely similar to a pecan pie.
I got to baking a little late in the day for baking so I let the pie sit over night to cool. Then forgot to take a picture before I served it up.
This is a delicious pie! I would put more walnuts into it next time but yum! The texture is like a pecan pie but the taste is quite different. Despite the amount of maple syrup it has a fairly subtle maple taste. Just the right amount and not overwhelming. This would be amazing with whip cram or cool whip. 

My Rating: New favorite pie! This is going to make another appearance at Thanksgiving.

Dylan's Rating: "Very good. Needs vanilla ice cream."


No comments:

Post a Comment