Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2020

Lemonade

Holy Crap! It has been hot out. Usually I love the heat but this year it is killing me. Probably because I can't do anything but stay home and attack the vines in the back yard. Last year was great when Dylan lived on the beach and I had to visit almost everyday, somedays when he was still at work. This year we are in a cute little house and I am finally able to have a garden. So after gardening one day I was feeling a little old fashioned so I needed an old fashion summer drink. Lemonade! The 1924 edition of The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer delivered.

This super easy recipe didn't call for as much lemon juice as I thought it would. But, I can do this!
I always have lemon juice on hand for cocktails but I thought I should probably go with fresh lemon juice for this drink. Don't you just love my parrot glass? It's huge!
There is something very satisfying about juicing the crap out of a lemon. I strained out all the seeds and pulp. Almost left some of the pulp in. For texture.
So this basically made a simple syrup with lemon. Sorry there are no pictures of boiling water. It was boring.
First I had to do the basic lemonade, ice, water, and the lemonade syrup. It was a lot sweeter than I thought it would be. I don't know why I was surprised. I saw the amount of sugar that is in it.
Let's have a little fun with this! I have watermelon and peaches! The drink on the left has a couple of scoops of watermelon muddled at the bottom. The one on the right has about half a peach.
The basic lemonade was too sweet for me. But it was great mixed with other fruits! The peach was my favorite but I could see keeping this on hand and making fruit lemonades all summer. Strawberry, raspberry, and blueberry would be tasty. Next time I will make it with more lemon juice to give it more of a bite.

My Rating: Too sweet as is but great as a mixer.

No comments:

Post a Comment