Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Concord Grape Pie

Although this is not technically from a vintage cookbook it is an old recipe, 1930's. It is from Better Homes and Gardens All-time Favorites published in 1999 but this a collection of old recipes so I think that counts. However, I am cheating...this is one of my all time favorite pies. I make it every year. Concord grapes are only available in early fall so you have to grab them when you can. They are small with seeds and tons of flavor! If the first thing that comes to mind when someone says 'grapes' is Welches grape juice or grape jelly then you will love this!
This pie requires more time and effort but it is so worth it!
It can be a bit difficult to find concord grapes. I couldn't find them in my local grocery store and had to go to the fancy one down the road. There is also a type of grape called Thomcord that is a hybrid of concord and Thomas grapes. They are a bit bigger and seedless but they do not have the same strong flavor. Suck it up and spend a little more time in the kitchen. It is worth it.
First you have to seperate the grape guts from the skins. Concords are slip skin grapes so it is very easy just time consuming.
 Ta Da! Save the skins for later. They add the beautiful bright purple color while baking.
After boiling the grape guts for a while you then get to seperate all the seeds out. Fun! Take your time. Eventually all you will have left in the strainer will be seeds.
 Adding the skins doesn't make it look much better...yet!
 Yeah! The pie is starting to get some color.
 The crumble topping will be dry. Don't worry.
 See! A beautiful purple pie! And your kitchen smells heavenly. You're welcome.
A nice small slice for picture purposes.
 So yummy!!!!!
I made this recipe on a whim years ago because although I had heard of concord grapes I had never heard of them actually being used in a recipe. Now I make it every year. Concord grape season is very limited so it also signals the start of Autumn for me.

My Rating: All time favorite! Making every year!!

Friends and Family Rating: "Delicious!" "Needs peanut butter on top."

No comments:

Post a Comment