Search This Blog

Friday, June 19, 2020

Brown Sugar Short Bread

Most of my recipes I find by randomly flipping through my cookbooks. Sometimes I have a craving or an idea but most of the time I pick something that I have all the ingredients for. Or sounds really weird. Several of the recipes in The Cookie Jar, 1951, sound really good but call for tons of ingredients. I am not giving cookies to the entire neighborhood. I am not making 8 dozen cookies. This is one of the few that was small and simple. 
Who doesn't love short bread?! You don't need a fancy cookie everyday. This recipe is typical and modern. Okay, looks super easy. Doesn't call for a lot.
Everything I always have on hand! Sometimes the brown sugar is light...sometimes it is dark. I just happened to have both today!
Mixing everything together. Kinda crumbly...
Kneading dough on my awesome marble slab. (Ignore my nails...I haven't painted them in a while and not just because I couldn't decide on what color. The red vs. coral debate is difficult)
Looking good! If you do not have one, I highly recommend getting a marble slab for cookies. It is amazing! My wonderful boyfriend got me one for the holidays and it makes a world of difference. It keeps the dough cool when you roll it out and so you don't have to worry about melty cookies. You know what I'm talking about. It is also great for pie crusts!
My marble was just a little small for the dough. I could have just rolled out half but where is the fun in that? Time to cut out cute little squares.
Did you know flour makes your hand slippery and can cause your phone to go flying out of it?
Looking back, I probably should have measured the cookies and made then a little more uniform in size.
There was no time listed so I tried to keep an eye on them. Naturally the smaller ones browned far quicker than the larger ones. Even with the larger ones, I think I left them in for too long. Short bread is never browned.
These turned out quite pretty! And a perfect amount.
I kinda wish that I used a fancy cookie cutter for them. Not too fancy. Just a little scalloped edge.
These were not bad. They didn't have a lot of flavor. I felt like something was missing. It could be because of me. I definitely made them too thin and too small and over-baked them. I think a nice dusting of raw sugar before baking would add to them.

My Rating: Kinda bland but a nice starter recipe. I want to try it again.

Dylan's Rating: "Good! but some are nice and soft and then the next one is like eating a rock."

No comments:

Post a Comment