Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Oatmeal Molasses Cookies

Is it a guy thing to not ask for something directly and just hint at it? My dad does it. Dylan does it. Here's the conversation that lead to me baking these. 
We were in the baking section of the supermarket.

Dylan: Are oatmeal raisin cookies hard to make?
Me: No, why?
Dylan: They are my favorite cookie. 
...silence...
Dylan: Do we have everything to make them?
Me: We just need raisins.
...silence...
Me: Do you want me to make oatmeal raisin cookies?
Dylan: If you want to. (while holding raisins)
Me: Put the raisins in the basket.

And so, I made oatmeal raisin cookies. They are not my favorite cookie. I don't hate them and I'll eat them if they are free. I found this recipe in the 1951 edition of Cooking for Two revised by Sally Larkin. I have a ton of molasses, don't know why, that needs to be used. I didn't know if Dylan liked the taste of molasses but we will see.
Lots of sugar!
It doesn't call for creaming the shortening which is interesting. Everything just goes in together!
Everything except for the oatmeal...
...and raisins. This is thick dough. Mix thoroughly to make sure the raisins don't stick together.
These are drop cookies but I really wanted to shape them. 
These baked up perfectly in 12 minutes. I was concerned since it calls for a lower temp than I am used to. My kitchen smells amazing! This is why I don't allow scented candles in my kitchen. It covers the smell of deliciousness.
These were so easy to put together and bake! They taste heavily of molasses so if you don't like that you will not like these. I enjoyed them, as much as I can enjoy oatmeal raisin cookies. They have a nice amount of raisins. Not too much. Not too little. It also was not too oatmeal-ly. It did not taste like a dense, bland, breakfast bar. Yeah! Dylan loved them. 

The title of the book was correct. I had a couple and he ate the rest so...yep. Cooking for Two.

My Rating: Not bad for a cookie.

Dylan's Rating: "These are the best oatmeal raisin cookies I've ever had. Can we make them again? Can you teach me how to make them?"

No comments:

Post a Comment