Search This Blog

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Red 'n' Hot Pie

In the middle of all the craziness, I am moving. Fun times! I will not be doing posts for a couple of weeks due to the move. I might squeeze in a cocktail, or two... I wanted to do one last baking adventure before everything ends up in boxes. I had a bag of apples that were starting to go bad. I had pie crusts in the freezer. Naturally I made an apple pie. But a normal apple pie is so boring. When I was searching for a pie last week I found this gem in the 1954 edition of Dishes Children Love published by the Culinary Arts Institute.
This cookbook has interesting recipes but I hate the way it is written. I prefer lists of ingredients and then the instructions. There is no need to mix them together!
 Here's the original recipe. Looks tasty!
I had everything except for red hots. I don't think that I every went out and bought red hots on purpose. Hot cinnamon is not my thing.
 Melting candy is fun!
 It actually took a little bit for all the candies to melt.
The apples turned so delightfully pink! I'm kinda nervous about the taste. It smells very hard sugar candy with a hint of cinnamon.
 But it look pretty!
 I suck at pie crusts so I stuck with a simple one.
Here it is baked for 10 at 450 and 15 at 350. The top crust does not look fully cooked so I stuck it in for 15 more minutes and then another 10 minutes. Basically adding up to the baking time of the regular apple pie.
Looks and smells amazing! It actually just smells like a regular cinnamon apple pie. Feel good about it now. I am taking it over to my folks for dessert and I didn't bring a back up. It better be at least okay.
Wow! What a nice pie! The candies added a nice subtle cinnamon flavor which I really enjoyed. While I used whatever apples I had on hand (I think they were slightly old Rome apples), this would probably taste even better with nice, tart apples. 

My Rating: Yum! I'll keep this recipe on hand. The pink apples are fun!

Family Rating: "Awesome!!!!" "Apple pie is my favorite pie and this was really good." 

No comments:

Post a Comment