Search This Blog

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Chocolate Brownie Pie

I still have no idea how I ended up with several packages of ready made pie crust in my freezer. Apparently I was going to make a ton of pies. Homemade pie crust is always the best but the ready made ones are a very good and super easy substitute. I have used both brand name and generic and I find that they are both equally good. So, I had pie crust but I was also craving chocolate. I blame that on the red wine. This combo Chocolate Brownie Pie is from the 1955 Gold Medal Jubilee 1880 - 1955 Cookbook.
Looks easy enough. I've had cream pies, fruit pies, and nut pies but not a brownie pie. I'm not certain how the brownie will taste combined with the pie crust.
I had everything on hand except the pecans. Since we are staying in I raided my nut collection in the freezer. Roasted hazelnuts go well with chocolate. Done! Barely had enough dark corn syrup to make it.
Usually I cheat and heat the chocolate in the microwave but I decided to follow the directions. I had enough time and nothing better to do. If you do use the microwave keep a very close eye on it and only heat in 15 second increments, stirring after each one. It is very easy to ruin chocolate...sometimes several times in a row.
 Didn't have a rotary beater so I busted out the hand mixer.
 Yum...hazelnuts and chocolate...
Looks like a pecan pie! I am incredibly bad at pie shells. I cannot make a crimped edge to save my life and they always turn out a little wonky. Or drip all over my oven. This looks like a good start.
My kitchen smells heavenly!! As I thought. My pie shell looks terrible. Fine in one corner, too long in another, somehow one side even shrunk.
 After letting it cool off, the pie deflated a bit. Still smells so good!
The inside looks like a brownie! Sounds silly but I was not expecting it to be cake-like. I thought it would be more like a fudge brownie. What a pleasant surprise!
Oh wow! This was great! Lighter than a brownie and because it is technically a pie, you can add Cool Whip or whip cream to it. And yes, the very first picture has more Cool Whip than pie. So what. The hazelnuts were amazing in it but pecans would probably be wonderful as well. I'll have to try that next time. Dylan's preference would have been pecans. Walnuts would be good also...maybe chocolate chips...

My Rating: Amazing! I'm trying to decide when to make my next one.

Dylan's Rating: (After I stared at his plate) What? There's still half a pie left.

No comments:

Post a Comment