Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Tomato Soup Cake

Sometimes you just need to grab something weird and go with it. This oddity comes from the 1960 Better Cooking and Baking pamphlet put out by Robertshaw-Fulton Company.

There isn't a lot of tomato soup in this recipe so I am not exactly certain of its purpose. Other than to scare people...which is a perfectly good reason.
 Looks normal, except for the soup. It really stands out in the group. I am guessing this is going to taste like a spice cake of some sort.
 The batter turned out rather thin and very sticky before adding the raisins and walnuts.
 I love a batter that has more nuts (and other stuff) than actual batter!
 I'm not a fan of layer cakes but I am following the recipe this time. I didn't have 8 inch cake pans so I had to settle for 9 inch. It shouldn't be a problem.
 My oven tends to be a bit wonky with the temperature. I went for the longer time, as usual, and the look great! And smell great...like autumn.
 Just following the recommended icing.
I was going for a 'rustic' icing look. Turned out great!

Despite the less-than-perfect icing job, this was a delicious cake! The cake turned out a little dry but I will take responsibility for that since I went straight to the longer baking time. Dumb oven. This was a surprisingly good and tasted just like a spice cake, as predicted. I still don't know the point of the soup. It didn't add any flavor. The icing was light and just a bit crisp. I just needed a little more to cover the entire cake. Oh well. All in all a good recipe!

My Rating: Delicious but dry. Need to try baking it again to make sure it wasn't me.

Friends and Family Rating: "Interesting." "Surprisingly good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment