Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Peach Upside-Down Cake


Summer is peach season and I love peaches! I also have had way too many mushy, bland peaches hiding as good peaches so I have been very hesitant to buy any. I decided to take a chance when I found this recipe. It is from the 1953 edition of The Modern Family Cook Book. I did not use it as an excuse to buy a new oven safe skillet, kind of. But I did have to get a new shiny pan!
Why should pineapples have all the fun?! I had never heard of another fruit used in an upside-down cake but looks easy and delicious. I decided not to make the Hard Sauce.
I had to go out and get the peaches (oh darn!) and cake flour. I was a 1/2 cup short of cake flour...so annoying. But the smell of fresh, ripe peaches is everywhere! I love peaches.
 I chose wonderfully ripe peaches and they were a pain in the butt to peel. Next time, go for slightly under-ripe and firm peaches. They smelled amazing sitting in the caramel sauce.
The batter was more liquid than a normal cake batter. I didn't know how it would fill the side of the pan.
Actually filled in nicely! And smells so good.
Hmm....okay, it's not the prettiest of desserts but how can you go wrong with caramel and peaches?!
Some of the caramel is soft, some is hard.
The cake is nice and fluffy! I thought the caramel would mix with the cake batter more. There was practically no mixing of the two.
Very delicious. The caramel and peaches pair perfectly with the almond flavored cake. The most difficult/annoying part was peeling the peaches and I would recommend firm peaches over ripe ones. This cake is light enough and has just enough fruit that you can pretend it's healthy enough for breakfast. It pairs perfectly with hot coffee.

My Rating: Delicious! Will definitely make again!

Friends and Family Rating: "Looks interesting. Tastes great!" "I need a cup of coffee with this."

No comments:

Post a Comment