Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2019

Wheaties Nougat Bars

A friend was telling me about a dessert he remembered from childhood. It was a type of no-bake cookie with flaked cereal. I don't think this was it but it was as close as I could get. 
Betty Crocker provided me with this snack recommended for after a midnight supper and promises it is "also delightful with ice cream."
I should have placed the bowl of wheat bran flakes towards the front to make it look healthier.
I used a make shift double boiler. It was not fun. I would recommend just using a regular pot and not bothering with trying to use a double boiler.
So thick! And so difficult to mix! I definitely got a nice arm workout.
There is so much stuff in this mix that I was concerned it would not stay together. I have my doubts about this one. I don't think there is enough marshmallows to make bars, a delicious crumble but not a bar.
Add a nice chocolate layer to hide the bran flakes.
It is really difficult to let it sit and cool. With cookies you can sneak a warm one and no one knows! Kinda hard to do that with a bar.
This little bars are dense! You will need a very sharp knife to cut them. I like the rough edges of the sides better than the cut centers.
This was suppose to make 32 bars. I did not make quite that many but it was close. These are so full of stuff that you will want to make them bite-sized.
All in all not bad. They are not my favorite but I was surprised on how good they were. I do not like whole wheat bran stuff (I am a fan of mushy white bread) but the cereal gave the bars a nice heartiness to them. The chocolate was amazing! Without the top layer these bars would be in the trash. Don't add too thick of a layer or it will overwhelm all the other parts but you must add a nice layer of good quality chocolate. I used dark. So good.

My Rating: Not bad but I probably won't make again.

Friends and Family Rating: "These are pretty good." "Do the Wheaties make them healthy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment